Saturday, December 11, 2004

Christmas? Bah, humbug!

It's a wonder to me why total strangers would suddenly ask you for a Christmas gift. It's part of the local custom here.

Just yesterday, a customer at my shop suddenly asked for his Christmas gift. I could only smile and jokingly say "we're Muslims", which obviously we're not. This is a person I've never met outside of a business relationship through the shop. Granted it is local custom here to give customers calendars or knick-knacks for Christmas, but shouldn't they wait for it to be offered first?

Purchasers from other companies have been sending or faxing notes requesting that you contribute to their Christmas party in cash or kind. As Christmas gets closer and closer, messengers and delivery men start asking for their Christmas gift or tips.

Sometimes I feel that these requests are actually disguised extortion. I really hate the hypocricy of Christmas.

Yeah, Merry Christmas to you too.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger No Milk Please said...

i can't believe you've taken this long to blog. i will make sure to link to you from my own blog at some point soon!

December 13, 2004 9:03 PM  
Blogger Misha said...

Being a Muslim and living in a Muslim country myself, I experience the sam phenomena when it comes to Eid, our version of Christmas, when everyone is supposed to get 'Eidee' (monetary) from everyone else. It is in this season that everyone, from the garbageman to the guards of the entire compound to the guys who cut grass in the community park drop by to ask you for Eidee. Traditionally, its supposed to be given to you, not asked for, and it's always been a major pet peeve for me to be asked for it. Rather rude, much like asking for a gift.

That bit of rambling done, I'd like to say nice blog! =)

December 24, 2004 12:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home